[Talk-GB] Facebook Map Query - Thames rendered as Thanames

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 12:49:40 UTC 2018

On 26/10/2018 10:56, Dave F wrote:
> I'd be more concerned that on Facebook's mobile website (Android/Silk
> Browser) that image clicks through to Google Maps.

I suspect it depends (I did look into issues related to this in response
to some DWG* tickets).  The maps you saw depending on where you were,
where (both geographically and how far away) and what the thing that you
were looking for was (e.g. roughly "a destination", "some other place",
"something else"), and how you were accessing FB (e.g. on the phone was
it app or browser, and I suspect it'd depend on OS too).

Any attribution issues you find are probably best handled by the LWG**
though I'm not convinced that "clicking on a map from provider A and
going to a map from provider B" necessarily is one.

Instagram of course is something else again, despite being owned by
Facebook.  We (the DWG) have seen some misdirected reports come to us
because Instagram's "report a problem" link (at least in the Android app
a couple of weeks ago) pointed straight to OSM, and of course OSM has no
influence on the search results that Instagram returns, which is usually
what users are complaining about. However, I suspect it might result in
businesses adding themselves to OSM that otherwise would not so I guess
that "every cloud has a silver lining" :)

Best Regards

Andy

* https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Data_Working_Group

** https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licensing_Working_Group