[Talk-GB] Postcodes

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 14:44:46 UTC 2018

I'm pretty sure that the "centroid" is allocated to the nearest delivery
point in the postcode which places it over a building. See my (now rather)
old blog post
<http://sk53-osm.blogspot.com/2013/12/british-postcodes-on-openstreetmap.html>
from 2013, and the note by Jenni Tennison. A caveat is, of course, that the
Land Registry Prices Paid data proved to be an open data mirage.

Please remember that Nominatim has a table (not recently updated) of all
postcode centroid which are used for searches. These usually show as AB10
2## or similar and are at a lowish zoom level.

Judging by taginfo stats we now have around 8-10% of all postcodes mapped,
and Robert Whittaker's site suggests
<https://osm.mathmos.net/addresses/pc-stats/> over 10%, so better than in
2013, but nowhere near the level we could get if we adopted a sustained
campaign to use what information we have.

Personally, I add addr:postcode to streets when: a) it is clear that all
properties share a postcode, but individual properties have not been
mapped; and b) when the local authority includes the full postcode on the
streetname sign (e.g., Gedling & Rushcliffe). In the former case this
should be regarded as an iterative step towards the desired position of
individually mapped addresses; in the latter it reflects an on-the-ground
rule.

The available sets of open data which can be used to resolve postcodes are:
Food Hygiene (the best, easiest to resolve, coverage of the whole UK - even
Rutland); Companies House Open Data (surprisingly useful even in areas of
social housing); the National Register of Social Housing (NROSH, not
updated since 2011, but still very useful); CQC (medical practices, care
homes etc). I haven't looked to see how many postcodes are covered by these
in total, but it should be a reasonable proportion of the total. If you
aren't aware Will Phillips OSM-Nottingham site does allow searching of
various open data sets across the UK (I would recommend searching only in
the viewport, so you need to zoom out and in to the target area). The
quickest way to ensure at least one address is mapped for a given postcode
is using Greg's FHRS tools.

Jerry