[Talk-GB] Mapping Roads for the Renderer

ajt1047 at gmail.com ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 20:57:07 UTC 2018

On 14/11/2018 19:48, Paul Berry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not for the first time I'm having a run-in with a user regarding
> arbitrary mapping of road classifications in Leeds. Latest changeset
> comments: http://osm.org/changeset/64361310

In this particular case I'd drop a mail to the DWG at
data at osmfoundation.org as they're not unfamiliar with this mapper.

> Does anyone have previous experience of nipping this kind of thing in
> the bud?

Lots of locals saying "no, that's wrong - X is not a Y, it is a Z, which
is how it was mapped before" is a good place to start.  There are
exceptions to "A road is primary" etc. in the UK (e.g. Oxford High
Street among others), but they are fairly rare.

> I don't mind manually reverting changes at some point but I'd rather
> not do that just to start/prolong what might be an edit war.

Once there's a a concensus of local mappers it's not so much an edit war
as one person who doesn't agree with everyone else.

I'd also suggest a review by locals of their changes in MK too (and
sadly for me I'm probably more familiar with the centre of MK than the
centre of Leeds these days).

Best Regards,

Andy

(from the DWG, although I wasn't directly involved in issues involving
this mapper previously)