[Talk-GB] Network tag on railway stations

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Nov 17 14:36:33 UTC 2018

On 17/11/2018 10:02, Tony Shield wrote:
> Ormskirk is a good case where Merseyrail manage the station -
> essentially the operator in OSM parlance.

I picked Ormskirk is it is the terminus for both Merseyrail and Northern
services on that line. They terminate here as the Merseyrail line is
electric and the Northern line is still served by diesel trains. I'm not
sure today, but certainly originally the break was simply a buffer
placed on the line ( must be 45 years sinse I was there last ;) ) which
could be removed at some point to restore through running. Hence the
suggestion that the line north be tagged with the operator=Northern, but
as Michael suggested there may well be a case for multiple operator tags
on the lines.

There is a good catalogue of data on the rail system, but I'm not sure
it's all suitable to be used. It would be nice to see a 'UK' guide to
tagging which covers all the options. Who operates the station, and who
operates on each line accessing that station. The various ID's would
help keep this data up to date.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL