[Talk-GB] How to map houses

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 20:50:03 UTC 2018

Hi BD,

Ed's right that opinions will vary and there's often not one perfect
answer. Allow me to propose a modification of Martin's suggestion, for
the case where you have one single outline for a whole terrace and no
knowledge of exactly which housenumber sits where:

building=terrace
addr:housenumer=5-17
addr:interpolation=2
addr:street=Westbury Avenue

Using address interpolation on an outline is not that common, I admit,
but it does at least mean the data is there in machine-readable
format, i.e. it's relatively straightforward to write an automatic
query to know where to send someone if they're looking for 7 Westbury
Avenue.

The more orthodox use is described here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses#Using_interpolation
where, assuming you know which end of the row is number 5 and which is
number 17, you'd use building=terrace and then create a separate way
(typically not even connected to the building outline) that holds the
addresses and interpolation as shown in the little diagram you see on
that wiki page.

Best
Dan