[Talk-GB] Using data from OS maps

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 30 13:00:06 UTC 2018

On 30/11/2018 12:07, Philip Barnes wrote:

> On 30 November 2018 11:49:08 GMT, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 30/11/2018 11:09, Philip Barnes wrote:
>>> It is worth remembering that the PROWs shown on OS maps is an overlay
>> provided by the highway authority.
>>
>> They're surveyed by local authorities (paid for by us),
> They are only surveyed if there is some reason to amend them.

Yes, obviously. Such as a path being newly added or realigned.

>   Local authorities do not have the resources to survey the vast rights of way network.

I'm not saying LAs resurvey the whole network on a regular basis, but
perform the occasional work to keep it updated.

They are, by law, are required to maintain a current definitive
statement. They have to allocate resources to do so. My LA got into
trouble for not having an inner city one.

>   The vast majority are digitised from the original maps drawn by the parish councils in the 1950s.

A survey includes researching documents as well as going out in the
fresh air with a theodolite.

Cheers
DaveF