[Talk-GB] Fwd: Open MasterMap progress since Policy Announcement

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 18:35:16 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Recap: The Ordnance Survey are working with the new Geospatial Commission
on opening up access to more of their data.

Today this email landed in OSM UK's inbox (you too can subscribe for
updates). It is a tad confusing because there are releasing things under
two different routes (free up to a threshold, and fully free under OGL open
data licence). This is explained on their website [1] but hidden under a
FAQ. Here is the text:

OS MasterMap will be made available for free, up to a threshold, through an
API. This will include:

   - OS MasterMap Topography Layers, including building heights and
   functional sites
   - OS MasterMap Greenspace Layer
   - OS MasterMap Highways Network
   - OS MasterMap Water Network Layer
   - OS Detailed Path Network

In addition, key parts of Ordnance Survey's highly detailed OS MasterMap
are being made completely open under Open Government Licence (OGL). This
includes:

   - Property extents derived from OS MasterMap Topography Layer
   - Spatial identifiers:
      - OS MasterMap Topography Layer TOIDs (Topographic Object
      Identifiers) will be incorporated into the features in OS Open Map-Local.
      - Over the next 12 months the Geospatial Commission will work with
      GeoPlace, LGA, the Improvement Service (on behalf of Scottish Local
      Government), and OS to investigate how best to open up the key
identifiers
      UPRN and USRN, together with their respective geometries, for
the whole of
      Great Britain under OGL terms. Due to the importance of these identifiers
      this will need to be done in a such a way that protects the integrity and
      authority of these identifiers. A way to give both businesses and public
      sector organisations the confidence to continue to rely on these within
      their own products and services, without restricting their ability to use
      and benefit from them.

UPRN = Unique Property Reference Number
USRN = Unique *street* reference number

Clearly we feel that "free and without restriction" is not compatible with
free open data and that they should be going further with their OGL
release. This is something we will be feeding back. I encourage you to do
the same if time and/or business interest allows.

They also link to the Geospatial Commission consultation, something that we
are well into writing an answer. You can continue to feed back via OSM UK,
or you can submit your own response.

[1]
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/business-and-government/products/open-mastermap.html

Thanks,