[Talk-GB] Facebook Map Query - Thames rendered as Thanames

Steve Doerr doerr.stephen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 00:44:00 UTC 2018

A user on the Facebook group 'UK Places Editors' has commented on the
fact that some maps on Facebook pages in the vicinity of Putney Bridge
(London) show the River Thames as 'Thanames'. See, for example,
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Putney-Bridge/103150243057869

A bit of browser debugging shows that it's accessing the URL
https://external-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/static_map.php?v=1013&osm_provider=2&size=324x160&zoom=15&markers=51.46701240%2C-0.21317368&language=en_GB&scale=2

Note the parameter &osm_provider=2

Can anyone shed light on what tile service is being used here and what
could be causing the Thanames name to appear? I can see that adjacent
tiles rendered at different times, so that the label 'Thames' occurs in
a different position, could cause something that looks like 'Thanames'
when they are joined together, but I can't produce any evidence of this.

--

Steve

---