[Talk-GB] Facebook Map Query - Thames rendered as Thanames

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 08:52:54 UTC 2018

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 01:44, Steve Doerr <doerr.stephen at gmail.com> wrote:
> A user on the Facebook group 'UK Places Editors' has commented on the
> fact that some maps on Facebook pages in the vicinity of Putney Bridge
> (London) show the River Thames as 'Thanames'. See, for example,
> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Putney-Bridge/103150243057869
>
> A bit of browser debugging shows that it's accessing the URL
> https://external-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/static_map.php?v=1013&osm_provider=2&size=324x160&zoom=15&markers=51.46701240%2C-0.21317368&language=en_GB&scale=2

I'm pretty sure that this is not a data issue, but a rendering issue,
cause by adjacent tiles being updated at different times and trying to
show the label in slightly different positions. Look closely at the
text and you'll see a slight discontinuity along a horizontal line
through the "n". Rather than being "Thanames" I think we're seeing the
upper tile showing "Tha" and the first part of an "m", and the lower
tile showing part of an "h" and then "ames".

Robert.