[Talk-GB] Coastline and tidal rivers

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 08:50:01 UTC 2018

On 29/08/18 01:46, Colin Smale wrote:

> On 2018-08-28 16:43, David Groom wrote:
>
>> whilst in theory I'd say yes, in practice I'd say consensus is hard
>> to achieve.
> OK, I might as well give up now then. If everybody started thinking "I
> don't know why I bother," like I am now, where would we be?

To Colin I say in a loud voice ... "Up the Rebels" :)

On the Australian talk list this came up for an import or maritime
boundaries -note the last bits

/Geoscience Australia definitions:/
/
/

  * /"The //Normal baseline// corresponds with the low water line along
    the coast, including the coasts of islands. Under the Convention,
    normal baseline can be drawn around low tide elevations which are
    defined as naturally formed areas of land surrounded by and above
    water at low tide but submerged at high tide, provided they are
    wholly or partly within 12 nautical miles of the coast. For
    Australian purposes, normal baseline corresponds to the level of
    //Lowest Astronomical Tide (LAT)
    <http://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/marine/jurisdiction/maritime-boundaries>//./
  * /Straight baselines// are a system of straight lines joining
    specified or discrete points on the low-water line, usually known as
    straight baseline end points. These may be used in localities where
    the coastline is deeply indented and cut into, or where there is a
    fringe of islands along the coast in its immediate vicinity./
  * /Bay or river closing lines// are straight lines drawn between the
    respective low-water marks of the natural entrance points of bays or
    rivers./

/Waters on the landward side of the baseline are internal waters for the
purposes of international law."/

Probably this same distinction exists in the UK - that difference of
internal waters for international law. This may help achieve a 'consensus'?

/
/