[Talk-GB] Mapping Shropshire's rights of way

Ben Proctor ben at satorilab.org
Tue Sep 4 12:11:21 UTC 2018

I'm not sure whether this is helpful but I wrote this earlier this year
with the help of the OS. It's an attempt to unpick some of the issues in
asking local authorities for mapping data.

https://medium.com/the-satori-lab/alpha-asking-your-council-for-mapping-data-b174a0875e42

Though we didn't have OSM contribution as a use case in mind when we wrote
it. I plan to revise it soon (this is rather overdue actually). Any
feedback that would make the next version helpful would be very gratefully
received.

On 4 September 2018 at 12:40, Jez Nicholson <jez.nicholson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello James,
>
> Please also take a look at the current OSMUK quarterly project which is
> highly relevant
> https://osmuk.org/quarterly-projects/ ...and consider joining the group.
>
> Regards,
>                Jez
>
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 12:17 David Woolley, <forums at david-woolley.me.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 04/09/18 10:55, James wrote:
>> > The officer confirmed that Rights of Way data was in the
>> > public domain for any use.
>>
>> That's a bad sign, as it indicates that they don't understand UK
>> intellectual property law.  They only way that database rights can lapse
>> into the public domain is through the passage of time.
>>
>> There are two likely rights owners.  One is the council.  They need to
>> explicitly licence their data base right under the Open Government
>> Licence.  Any other licence needs to be approved centrally.
>>
>> The other is Ordnance Survey.  That normally means that any actual map
>> cannot be used, although, if licensed by the council, the narrative
>> description can be used.
>>

>> > Following some more research, I discovered rowmaps.com which has a
>> > database of Shropshire's RoW data from 2014. I contacted the owner,
>> > Barry, to enquire about this data. He is currently seeking a more
>> > up-to-date database for me.
>>
>> I believe there are concerns that a lot of this data has been lifted
>> from council web sites without getting appropriate licenses.  Typically
>> web sites are licensed for personal, non-commercial, use, but OSM
>> requires that the licence permit redistribution, and permit commercial
>> use.
>>

>> > Once I have this data, what would be the best way to make it available
>> > in OSM? Is it not considered accurate to directly import the data, or
>> > should it be used as a guide for a ground survey?
>>
>> Given that it is likely that the database rights on the actual
>> coordinates are owned by OS, and you will have to use the narrative
>> descriptions, you are going to have use other sources, and on the ground
>> surveys are always best, to fill in the details.  In any case, any
>> import needs to be checked to make sure it is consistent with existing
>> data (e.g. doesn't duplicate it, and is topologically consistent with
>> other features, even if they are not in their true, WGS-84, positions.
>>
>> Also, what many OSM users are interested in is mapping those public
>> rights of way that the council does not know about, as there is a
>> deadline looming after which only those known to the council will be
>> valid rights of way.

Ben Proctor, Technical Director

*The Satori Lab*, 22 Windsor Place Cardiff. CF10 3BY Wales, UK

ben at satorilab.org | @likeawor <https://twitter.com/likeaword>d | 07904 1234
98 | LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/likeaword/>

We provide culture change services
<https://thesatorilab.com/our-services/?utm_source=email_sig&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=word_of_mouth>

Sign up for our culture change newsletter
<https://thesatorilab.com/i-want-to-know-more/?utm_source=email_sig&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=word_of_mouth>
.