[Talk-GB] Wickham Market, Suffolk

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 7 08:06:15 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-07 09:37, Mark Goodge wrote:

> Obviously it's been "town" more than village (and the person who added it as such was/is pretty local) - but is that still correct?  I'll comment on the latest change about this thread so that everyone's aware of it.
> It has a parish council that has not chosen to style itself as a town council. So, officially, it's a village.

How does that make it official? There are Town Councils whose name does
not reference an existing place, so what the council calls itself
doesn't make it official...

Once upon a time a Town was a place that had been granted the right to
hold its own market, wasn't it? By that yardstick WM would appear to be
a town.

Once again, there is no straight answer to the question "Is Whickam
Market a town or a village?" The only single correct answer is "it
depends" and there are a variety of correct answers according to the
criterion you are using.

So now OSM (or the OSM community or the OSMUK local chapter) has to get
off the fence and pick one. Or pick all of them by adding multiple tags,
like market=yes, population=X etc. That provides the objective raw data
so that data consumers (including renderers) can make their own
decisions.