[Talk-GB] Wickham Market, Suffolk

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Fri Sep 7 12:06:29 UTC 2018

> But that only applies to that particular street. What do you do when
> somewhere has some streets that are fully lit and some that aren't? Are
> you planning to go round every street in a settlement, check the street
> lights, total them all up and then use that to decide whether it's a
> town or a village? Especially when you can just look it up!

Hi Mark,

If you can just look it up, you don't need to do anything else.

I thought we were discussing situations where it's not clear? In that
case you have a look around. If most of the side roads and residential
streets have properly spaced street lamps, you are almost certainly in a
town, or a suburb or district of a town, even if the locals like to call
it a village.

If there is no street lighting, or only the one main road has some
lighting, or the only lamp is the one opposite the village hall, you are
in a village. Even if the locals call it a town. Here is Lower Town Farm
on the right and Lower Town Cottage on the left:

  https://goo.gl/maps/aboB22cC6Pr

:)

Martin.