[Talk-GB] Wickham Market, Suffolk

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 7 16:19:27 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-07 15:51, Mark Goodge wrote:

> But that's my point. We can just look it up, if we start from the assumption that the Local Government Act distinction between a town and a village (technically, between a town and a parish, but that's just terminology) is definitive. So observation doesn't need to come into it.
> If you can just look it up, you don't need to do anything else.

I have just read through the LGA 1972 and there is no definition of a
"town".

The LGA doesn't seem to define what a town is, other than as a
consequence of a Parish Council deciding to call itself a Town Council.
The administrative area is still a Parish, and nothing changes about
that when a council resolves to change its official style to Town
Council. BTW, Salisbury City Council is also just a parish council, with
the same powers as Wickham Market Parish Council (except it gets to have
a Mayor).

Using the parish style to define what is a town cannot be a complete
definition, only an indication, as there are plenty of towns in
unparished areas.