[Talk-GB] 'historic' county boundaries added to the database

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Thu Sep 20 12:46:53 UTC 2018

On 20/09/2018 13:12, Dave F wrote:
> See the OSM Welcome page.

Thanks. The wording there is:

"OpenStreetMap is a place for mapping things that are both real and
current."

Unfortunately it doesn't define "real" or "current".

What is a "real" bus stop? Does it need a physical marker post or
shelter? Or is it a bus stop if it's just a place listed in the
timetable? Or even just a place where buses often stop on request?

What is a "current" footpath? If I mapped it 5 years ago, how often do I
have to go back and check that it is still there? If it's a public
footpath crossing a field the farmer is allowed 14 days to re-instate it
after ploughing the field. Is it still a "real" footpath for those 14
days? What if I re-visit it on the wrong day?

Martin.