[Talk-GB] Android Auto and OSM

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 22:05:20 UTC 2018

Hi Simon,

No this is not that simple and (in my view) OSM shouldn't ignore this. It
works with quite a few existing third party apps (list on [1], [2])
including Google competitors (e.g. Amazon Music) and Open Source (e.g.
Signal messenger).

I cannot see any OSM app in the list which is a shame as we could loose
audience as a result.

P.S. The car also had Apple's equivalent (Apple CarPlay) but I couldn't
test this as I don't have an iOS device.

P.P.S According to google: Automobile manufacturers that will offer Android
Auto support in their cars include Abarth, Acura, Alfa Romeo, Audi,
Bentley, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ford, GMC,
Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar Land Rover, Jeep, Kia, Lamborghini, Lexus,
Lincoln, Mahindra and Mahindra, Maserati, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi,
Nissan, Opel, Peugeot, RAM, Renault, SEAT, Škoda, SsangYong, Subaru,
Suzuki, Tata Motors Cars, Volkswagen and Volvo.

[1] https://www.android.com/auto/
[2]
https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3001303_android_auto_all

Thanks,