[Talk-GB] Access restrictions for lorries above a certain GVM

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 12:10:12 UTC 2018

On 26/09/2018 12:35, Tobias Zwick wrote:
> Hey there
>
> I can't believe this didn't come up before - or maybe it did but was not
> documented in the wiki.
>
> In United Kingdom, how do you tag roads signed with this sign?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UK_traffic_sign_622.1A.svg

That's a good question. I've had a look, and none of them seem to be
tagged on the roads in my town.

Another issue is how we tag "gateway" weight restrictions. These apply
only to traffic in one direction, and not to an entire length of road.
They're typically used in towns and villages that have been by-passed,
to ensure that HGV through traffic has to use the by-pass, but, having
accessed the town via a legitimate route, can then leave it via
whichever is most convenient. Here's an example of what I mean:

https://www.markgoodge.com/files/by-pass.png

The primary route (in green) which originally passed through the town
has been diverted to by-pass it on a new construction. Junctions A and B
will have weight restriction signs (as above) on the route into town,
but junction C will not. So HGVs can enter the town via C, but then
leave via either A, B or C. The intention, of course, is to ensure that
only trucks which need to enter the town do so, as it can't be used as a
short-cut (eg, if the by-pass is congested), but once in the town,
there's no restriction on which parts of the town the trucks can service.

I really don't know how we'd tag that, because it would be a tag that
only applies to one traffic direction of a way rather than the entire way.

> Note that the GVM for which the sign applies is given explicitly on the
> sign, which is apparently always the case for any HGV-access-restriction
> sign in the UK.

That's not a major issue. Although the limit is always stated, it's also
almost always 7.5t, as that's the boundary between different categories
of goods vehicle. With very few exceptions, it's just the larger ones
which are prohibited.

Mark