[Talk-GB] Access restrictions for lorries above a certain GVM

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Sep 26 14:21:41 UTC 2018

On 26/09/18 14:49, Tobias Zwick wrote:
> Thank you for the answers given. Perhaps there are some
> misunderstandings, so I want to clarify two points:
>
> 1.
> A HGV is defined as a vehicle with a max allowable mass of above 3.5t,
> even in the UK. Tagging "hgv=no" when seeing this sign is plain
> incorrect, except if we specifically redefine only for OSM what
> constitutes a HGV contrary to what can be found in the actual
> legislation. I don't think it is wise to do that.

In terms of licensing, up to 7.5T MAM (or up to 8.25T with trailer) can
be driven by people with suitable classes on an ordinary driving
licence.  Many older drivers already have these.  7.5T is where HGV
licensing really bites.  Some sources use the term MGV (Medium Goods
Vehicle for the 3.5T to 7.5T range, but it does seem to be the case that
HGV is used in some places.

In practice you are not going to get an HGV restriction below 7.5T MAM
as that would rule out appliance delivery vehicles and house movers.
You might have a maxweight below that, because of weak structures.

Also technically, the limit is on mass, not weight.  It is not dependent
on the barometer reading or whether the vehicle is at the poles or the
equator.