[Talk-GB] Access restrictions for lorries above a certain GVM

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 16:51:55 UTC 2018

On 26/09/2018 17:33, Philip Barnes wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-09-26 at 17:18 +0100, Tony Shield wrote:

>> From the examples given it seems that passing the facing sign is
>> the limiting event, the end of the restriction may be posted with a
>> grey end of restriction sign; surveying them could be a nightmare
>> if the road/way is tagged - the restriction can be several miles
>> and in one direction.
>
> I have never known such a restriction to be only in one direction.

The way it's actually done, from a legal perspective, is to put a
Traffic Restriction order (TRO) on a very short length of road, and then
only put the signposts at one end of the stretch.

Using ascii art, it looks a bit like this:

-----------------<==-----------------------

where - is unrestricted road, = is restricted road, and < is a sign
facing in that direction (ie, left in this case).

Because a TRO needs signs to be enforceable, that effectively makes it a
one-way restriction as only traffic approaching from the left sees the
sign. It's a bit of a hack, but quite a common one.

That's as opposed to a fully restricted road, which would be TRO'd and
signed like this:

I hope that makes sense. It's a bit difficult to explain!

Mark