[Talk-GB] State of the Map 2019, Heidelberg 21-23 Sept

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 12:13:36 UTC 2019

On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 at 15:14, Jez Nicholson <jez.nicholson at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's interesting....I'd wanted to go by train before as its more eco-friendly and more interesting, but struggled with the cost compared to flights. Do you use Loco2.com to plan?

I find it's worth paying a little extra both to avoid the carbon
emissions and the general hassle of flying and airports. Train travel
is often a few quid more expensive than flying, but it's only a small
amount to pay in the grand scheme of things.

For buying tickets to Germany from the UK, it's worth booking the
Eurostar leg and onward travel to Germany as a combined ticket e.g.
using Deutsche Bahn, and to avoid booking individual legs. This is
because Deutsche Bahn do great "Super Sparpreis Europa" tickets for
journeys that start or end outside of Germany, which are often cheaper
than just the German part of the journey alone! A quick look at
Loco2.com shows they also offer these fares, so that's an option if
you prefer to book with them.

The best route from London to Heidelberg is via Brussels and changing
at either Cologne (Köln) or Frankfurt. I've made similar trips a few
times before, both to get to Karlsruhe and also going further afield,
and I've had good experiences each time. Definitely worth considering
the train as an option for SotM.

Thanks,
Andy