[Talk-GB] RFC: Solar panel mapping in the UK

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 3 16:46:04 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 05:23:03PM +0100, Dan S wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to propose that for OSM in the UK we have a project to map
> solar electricity panels (photovoltaics or "PV").
>
> Why? In brief:
>
> * We can do this! It involves a nice mix of aerial imagery, local
> on-the-ground observation, etc; and anyone can do it, in the town and
> in the countryside.

The solar farms that I have tried to map on the ground with gps usually
have very restricted access. I don't know if they are scared of people
stealing the panels, or other equipment. The panels themselves are quite
low potential, I think, but maybe if they are strung together in
series, there can be hazardous voltages.

ael