[Talk-GB] RFC: Solar panel mapping in the UK

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 4 13:12:47 UTC 2019

On 03/04/2019 17:23, Dan S wrote:
> * The tagging is already pretty well-defined.

This would be a great project, however I think there's some confusion in
the tagging which requires agreeing/clarifying.

Most solar rural solar farms are on arable land. There's usually a
boundary fence around the whole site. There are usually 'blocks' formed
from numerous rows of panels. There can be multiple blocks, often one
per field.

Does a solar farm require a power=plant around the perimeter boundary?
(no fill or border render, but the name is displayed in the 'standard'
render)

Does power=plant require a landuse=industrial tag (which does fill render)

Where should the power=generator tag be placed? On the individual blocks
or on the perimeter boundary?
or, as in this detailed example, on individual panel rows?
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/654070917

Similarly where should 'plant:output:electricity' go?
(There's another example, which I'm unable to locate at present, which
had the power output on each row).

State side example:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/340809071#map=18/33.30652/-112.83771&layers=D
Note they're tagged as buildings, & include the address!

Some UK examples have collected 'blocks' into a relation.
If there's a boundary around them all I feel this that is unnecessary as
OSM is geospatially aware. Similar to the schools project, any object
within the amenity=school boundary is assumed to be part of the school.

DaveF