[Talk-GB] Use of amenity=university within the University of Cambridge

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 11:28:42 UTC 2019

I've noticed that there are rather a lot of amenity=university objects
in Cambridge, most of which seem to be on individual buildings rather
than actual universities or even university sites.
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/HLV This seems to be in line with the
tagging scheme described at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cambridge/University_of_Cambridge
, but doesn't follow what it says at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Duniversity
"Individual elements of the university should not be tagged with
amenity=university but can be mapped with operator=* and the name of
the university".

The latter suggests that there should only be one amenity=university
object per institution, with individual sites combined via a
multi-polygon. I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, and I would be ok
with using using amenity=university on the outline polygon of each
site occupied by a university. At any rate I think it's wrong to
classify individual internal buildings/features within each site as
amenity=university.

What do other people think? Could we get an agreement to at least
remove the amenity=university tags from buildings etc within each
larger university site? How best to tag university sites/campuses is
perhaps a larger discussion, that it may take longer to reach a
consensus on.

Robert.

PS: I'll invite David Earl to comment here, as he was behind the
Project Drake work that did a lot of the mapping of University
buildings.

--
Robert Whittaker
https://osm.mathmos.net/