[Talk-GB] Use of amenity=university within the University of Cambridge

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 13:15:32 UTC 2019

On 07/04/2019 12:28, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:
> I've noticed that there are rather a lot of amenity=university objects
> in Cambridge,...
>
> What do other people think? Could we get an agreement to at least
> remove the amenity=university tags from buildings etc within each
> larger university site? How best to tag university sites/campuses is
> perhaps a larger discussion, that it may take longer to reach a
> consensus on.

What would be useful would be examples of what other non-campus
universities do.  I'd hope that a drop-in replacement for the Cambridge
usage of the amenity=university tag would be possible (not just
buildings - see also e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/136330943 ),
leaving amenity=university for "actual" universities (or at least campuses).

> PS: I'll invite David Earl to comment here, as he was behind the
> Project Drake work that did a lot of the mapping of University
> buildings.

For info - previous discussions include
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2015-May/thread.html#17455
.  I can see the logic behind "let me change the University software
first" in
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2015-May/017457.html ,
but that was 4 years ago - it does seem reasonable to ask the question
again now.

See also
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2011-December/thread.html#12523
for previous discussion (and a mention of how Durham, a similar
non-campus university, did things then).

Best Regards,

Andy