[Talk-GB] Solar data

Russ Garrett russ at garrett.co.uk
Wed Apr 10 21:45:41 UTC 2019

Hey Rob,

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 22:30, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com> wrote:
> As the image (linked to below) from a WPD public webinar shows it is not easy to map separate solar sites based in a single location. No way to tell which panels belong to which site from aerial imagery alone.

Hah! That's a particularly pathological case, and I think it's a
situation where an extension project has been given a different name
from the original farm. A quick glance at the REPD indicates that
Copley Wood doesn't appear as an installation - I suspect it might be
down as "Higher Hill" and "Higher Hill (extension)" which would make
more sense. If that's the case I'd be inclined to map the entire area
as "Higher Hill" with the combined output of both.

What we don't have at the moment is any accepted way of dealing with
extensions and other sub-divisions of power plants. This is especially
problematic with some solar farms (especially older ones), which
started out as a very small installation but were significantly
extended later. I think they should be represented as a single entity
- at least at the top level - as the distinction between various
phases/extensions is really only of academic interest.

> The Renewable Energy Planning Database is one source of info. The government have outsourced the task of tracking the growth of renewables to the company listed on the file. They look at planning applications and speak with developers. The capacity data is not always right as a developer may change their plans. Also there are cases where some Wind sites are split into 2 as the cross an admin boundary. In reality it is one Wind Farm site.

I'm trying to massage the REPD data into a more easily browsable
format (with clear licensing) at the moment - I'll see if I can get
some of those other datasets in there as well.

Cheers,

--
Russ Garrett
russ at garrett.co.uk