[Talk-GB] Mapping a combined stile and gate?

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Mon Apr 22 12:43:39 UTC 2019

Often in my travels I come across something like this:

  http://85a.uk/stile_gate2_1280x720.jpg

  http://85a.uk/stile_gate_1280x720.jpg

Should this be mapped as a stile or a gate? Or both side by side?

If the latter, which node should the way be connected to?

It's a public right of way on foot, and walkers need to know that they
must climb a stile if the gate is locked. But if you "map what you see
on the ground" (which is the supposed golden rule), it is simply a track
passing through a gate.

If I split the way in two, and have a short section of footpath passing
over a stile *and* a track passing through a gate, it looks daft on the
map, as if there is a Clapham Junction in the middle of a grassy field.

And if I do that, is it essential to split out the short bit of the
track through the gate, from which the public right-of-way designation
(and ref number) is removed?

thanks,

Martin.