[Talk-GB] Mapping a combined stile and gate?

Roger Calvert jrogercalvert at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 16:29:53 UTC 2019

The surveyors are volunteers who are trained by the National Park to
undertake periodic surveys of PROWs, monitoring the condition of paths,
stiles, bridges, surface etc and reporting back to the Ranger team. I do
not have a link - it is a leaflet issued to surveyors on the training
course, and has no address or web link on it, just an internal file
address.

I am not defending this approach - simply reporting what the
instructions are. My personal view is that both should be mapped in OSM.
The issue is to determine which way the PROW should go in cases of doubt.

If the right of way is deemed by the appropriate authority to go through
the gate, the landowner should (ideally) not block it. If it is blocked,
this will be reported by the footpath surveyors on their next trip.

Roger

On 22/04/2019 16:48, Dave F via Talk-GB wrote:
> On 22/04/2019 15:34, Roger Calvert wrote:
>> The Lake District National Park instructions to footpath surveyors
>> recommends:
>>
>> "Where there are two items of furniture for the same crossing (for
>> example, a gate and a stile alongside each other), then it is the one
>> highest up the hierarchy .. or the one definitely on the definitive
>> line, that is the most important."
>>
>> The gate is higher in their hierarchy than the stile, and thus would
>> normally be considered to be the one on the PROW where there is doubt
>> about the definitive line.
>>
>> Roger
>>

> But that would mean, if the landowner wished to close or remove the
> gate, there would be no official PROW access.
>
> Could you clarify who these footpath surveyors are?
> Do you have a link to this statement?
>
> DaveF

Roger Calvert