[Talk-GB] TfL cycle data published

Martin - CycleStreets list-osm-talk-gb at cyclestreets.net
Thu Aug 1 20:28:50 UTC 2019

On Thu, 1 Aug 2019, Rob Nickerson wrote:

> The email below is from TfL announcing the release of the cycle data. I'm
> copying in Martin to this email as he was working on this Talent
> Directory project so can hopefully provide a comment on the licence.

Thanks - Rob. Will be e-mailing tomorrow to give updated info on the
license - there have been various discussions over the last month on this,
which I will report back on.

> Taking a look myself it is an OGL v2 licence which is good. TfL muddy the
> water slightly in that they are applying the licence to data obtainable
> via an API. They therefore include statements about it being the users
> responsibility to check the page for updates to the licence and that by
> running a new API call you are accepting the new licence. For us I think
> we are fine in that we download the data once (rather than regularly via
> their API) and the licence when you download it grants perpetual use.
>
> OGL v2 can sometimes suffer from it's clause about not covering third
> party rights the data provider is not entitled to provide (e.g. Royal
> Mail Postcodes) but a previous (off list) chat with Martin suggested we
> are ok on that front.

Yep, again I'll update on that tomorrow. It is looking good to me, but I'm
seeking a definitive view from the OSMF LWG now that I've obtained full
details of the provenance of the data. This has taken a bit longer than
hoped.

Martin,                     **  CycleStreets - For Cyclists, By Cyclists
Developer, CycleStreets     **  https://www.cyclestreets.net/