[Talk-GB] barrier=kerb on highways may be blocking OSRM (Car) routing

Edward Catmur ecatmur at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 18 13:31:03 UTC 2019

I think your new mapping is correct, as it reflects reality - which is what
most matters. You could improve it by curving the cycle path/sidewalk up to
the crossing and aligning the kerb nodes to the aerial photo, but that's
nitpicking.

That said, there's still a problem in that at least one routing
engine (OSRM in bicycle mode) still sees kerbs as impassable to bicycles:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=fossgis_osrm_bike&route=55.0123%2C-1.4837%3B55.0130%2C-1.4810
but
that's something the routing engine devs should fix (if you feel like
contacting them); compare
https://github.com/fossgis-routing-server/cbf-routing-profiles/blob/master/foot.lua#L35

https://github.com/fossgis-routing-server/cbf-routing-profiles/blob/master/bike.lua#L40

Even a non-lowered kerb is an obstacle to cycling, but not an
insurmountable one, at least to able-bodied cyclists who can raise their
bike over the kerb, so it should perhaps have a penalty in routing but not
enough to make a 2km detour preferable. That said, the same goes for cars -
other than the lowest bodied sports cars, pretty much all motor vehicles
are capable of taking a kerb at low speed.