[Talk-GB] barrier=kerb on highways may be blocking OSRM (Car) routing

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Dec 18 16:26:17 UTC 2019

On 18/12/2019 15:59, Robert Skedgell wrote:
> It's parking a car on a
> footway which is illegal in London (an offence which is only subject to
> civil enforcement), unless explicitly allowed by the local authority.

It's potentially a criminal offence anywhere see sub-paragraph 17 of
<http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/section/184>.  I think the
situation in London is just that the default position is reversed, and
everywhere is assumed to have a notice by default.  The offence is
crossing the kerb or verge, not parking on the footway, which is a
separate offence.

I think issue of civil enforcement is just that the police have
abdicated all this sort of thing to civil enforcement, rather that it
isn't a crime.  About the only parking offences the police will
prosecute are dangerous and obstructive parking, but they could
prosecute any of them.