[Talk-GB] Which paths are shown on this OS 'Standard' render

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Sun Dec 29 22:52:04 UTC 2019

On 29/12/2019 22:23, Andy Townsend wrote:

> Looking elsewhere in a couple of areas I'm familiar with, as well as
> missing data, there are plenty of of basic digitisation errors around,
> e.g. gardens seeming to be significantly larger then they should be.
> This is, I guess, only the free version - maybe there's a parallel
> complete version for paying customers?

Hi Andy,

No there isn't - I'm a Premium subscriber.

The "Standard" base map is rubbish as a map in its own right. For
example it has contour lines, but no height indications on them, or even
which direction is uphill. What's the use of that? It is used as a base
map for other coloured overlays in addition to the Street map, such as
the National Park Paths, Cycle Map, Greenspace maps. None of which work
very well.

On mobile devices there is also a low-brightness Night map which is useful.

However, the Aerial, 25K and 50K maps are fine -- and the 3D stuff and
fly-over functions are great.

The main reason for subscribing however, is the ability to view a large
database of routes, create your own custom routes to add to it (or not),
and have an easy URL of your route which you can send to friends.

cheers,

Martin.