[Talk-GB] Landuse between fences?

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 16:57:41 UTC 2019

There is a surprisingly heavily used landuse=highway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landuse%3Dhighway>
for highway corridors, by analogy with landuse=railway. I would think it is
mainly used for motorway corridors which can be considerably wider than the
carriageways, and even then other landuse/natural tags may be used for
parts of the area. See around Colwyn Bay <http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/PmD>.

However, in this case I think the primary landuse is agriculture, which
works more easily if areas larger than a field are mapped at a time. I see
little reason to add a landuse here: most use cases requiring tessellated
landuse can either process highway by type perfectly adequately, or fill
holes by use of buffering operations. I used some simple defaults for
highway width back in 2011 which produced results very similar to data
which had been explicitly mapped as areas.

Jerry