[Talk-GB] We're missing changes to M1 Junction 36 which have apparently been in place for a year.

Ed Loach edloach at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 16:42:23 UTC 2019

Paul wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> No worries. I think I'll still pop down for a survey anyway because I now want to
> try the GPS + car trick and see how it turns out. We'll compare changesets later :)

Much of Clacton was originally mapped using that method, when there was no imagery covering the area.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/EdLoach/traces/page/79
When imagery and OS opendata became available it was usually pretty close. I was using (and still use) a Locosys GT-31.

I have seen areas where the uploaded traces and the OSM roads seem to follow the pavement in the imagery and suspect it was mapped by a walker who hadn't adjusted for not walking down the middle of the road (I'm not talking a constant offset here as it depended which side of the roads they were walking).

Accuracy will depend on the receiver and signal reception.

Ed