[Talk-GB] Changing highway=ford to ford=yes.

ajt1047 at gmail.com ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 11:08:42 UTC 2019

On 06/01/2019 09:51, Neil Matthews wrote:
> Presumably only those ways that have a consistent highway value for ways
> joined at both ends? If there's a different highway value at ways joined
> at each end, then you should at minimum add a fixme to the ford section,
> or a note for local mappers to check?

A change of ways would be tricky, but according to taginfo data for the
UK this will be nodes only -
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/tags/highway=ford shows 645 nodes,
no ways.  FWIW https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/highway=ford shows
2 ways only so I suspect that someone has already tidied those (I
certainly had a go at updating any that I was familiar with many years
ago to an appropriate highway type).  82 of the 645 have both ford=yes
and highway=ford (see https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/F0w ).

Picking an example near me,
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1467099600/history I'd suggest needs
a resurvey, but only because it's 7 years since anyone's been there and
someone might have put a bridge in, not because it wasn't a "ford=yes" 7
years ago.  A bit of the history of the issue can be seen on that node -
a previous mechanical edit 6 years ago
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/14211906 was reverted in
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/14236131 .  At the time many
commonly-used maps didn't understand ford=yes so a mechanical edit with
no discussion created quite a few complaints.

Best Regards,

Andy