[Talk-GB] Changing highway=ford to ford=yes.

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 6 13:50:37 UTC 2019

On 06/01/2019 09:32, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 1/5/19 9:49 PM, Dave F wrote:
>> I'm about to do a GB wide edit changing highway=ford (545) to ford=yes
>> (4814). I know a few contributors like to get upset about wide area
>> edits, even when they been discussed, so I thought I'd give you a heads up.
> It sounds as if you are belittling those who "like to get upset" but at
> the same time you're writing your message in a combative and
> uncooperative tone that is increasing the likelihood of someone getting
> upset!

Well, yes, I suppose I am. I'm gradually becoming irritated by the
increasing reluctance (verging on paranoia) to correcting erroneous
data. It started as a concern over mass 'bot' edits, but has now spread
to any kind of amendments over a certain area. There's more concern over
an edit's geographical size than what's actually being edited. That
can't be right.

Claims (I'm paraphrasing, but only slightly) such as 'I didn't know
about discussions', 'I wasn't involved in those discussions' & 'I want
OSM to remain the same as when I first started' are not valid arguments.

>> Yes, it has been discussed a couple of times on Tagging, & once on
>> OSM-carto when deciding on the icon to use.
> It would be good if you could link to these discussions instead of just
> claiming they were had, for the benefit of those who joined between "a
> few years ago" and now.

I disagree. I provided evidence of the conclusions of those discussions
& indication of which was more popular in Britain. Anyone who has
concerns over that could perform their own research. Of course, an easy
way to search the archives would be beneficial.