[Talk-GB] Changing highway=ford to ford=yes.

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 6 17:12:12 UTC 2019

On 06/01/2019 16:44, Martin Wynne wrote:
> For example I have just been updating a local ford well-known to me,
> over the River Rea at Neen Savage:
>
>  https://goo.gl/maps/NetZQD1UVfE2
>
>  https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/52.39462/-2.47891
>
> That section of the river is mapped as an area, so I have added an
> area of it as landuse=ford where it is also an area of road.

The ford is only the highway across the river. That's mapped correctly
as a way with a ford=yes tag:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/660938519

I'd delete your area & the ford=yes node. I'd also add a weir tag to the
downstream side to indicate the sudden drop in water level.

> I have been mapping local waterways as areas, where both banks are
> shown as such on OS OpenData. It is a tedious process because river
> banks are usually so wiggly. So I do a bit at a time as my time permits.

To your natural=water I'd add the complimentary tag water=river to make
it easier for data consumers to find just rivers.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:water gives a variety of options.

DaveF