[Talk-GB] Changing highway=ford to ford=yes.

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Sun Jan 6 21:56:28 UTC 2019

On 06/01/2019 20:47, Edward Catmur wrote:

>> But what does "a bit much" mean in relation to mapping what you find on
>> the ground? Either a thing is there or it isn't. You can leave it out,
>> or make a reasonable stab at drawing what you actually see in front of
>> your nose.
>
> To me the issue is one of consistency - it feels a bit odd to map one
> feature in detail if features around it aren't similarly mapped. OTOH when
> adding detail you have to stop somewhere. So on second thoughts go ahead -
> it's great that you're doing this. Just bear in mind that it's better to
> map something - even if it's just a node ford with no width, length or
> depth - than nothing at all.

Well you can't detail everything in one go, you have to start somewhere.
I try to go back to the map and add as much detail as I can from time to
time, from photos, notes, etc.

If you just want something - anything will do, I don't see the point in
bothering. There are plenty of other maps with that -- Google, Bing, OS.

The whole point of OSM is that you can build up a proper detailed record
of an area, and each mapper can add their own expertise. If I add all
the river banks, someone else can add all the telegraph poles.

 >> Which raises another question -- what is the correct temporary
tagging for "this is where I've got to, I will come back and do some
more soon, I know it's not finished"?

 > Possibly fixme=continue? It's often used as a suggestion to other
mappers, but there's nothing to stop you using it as a reminder to yourself.

Thanks, but "fixme" sounds like a request for help, which is not what
I'm saying. I know what's wanted and I intend to do it in due course --
I may have some relevant photos or notes. Which is not to prevent anyone
else doing it first of course.

cheers,

Martin.