[Talk-GB] Changing highway=ford to ford=yes.

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 14:13:26 UTC 2019

On 07/01/2019 12:37, Mike Baggaley wrote:
> I think that if an intersecting highway and waterway are mapped just as lines, then these represent the full width of the highway and waterway and it is illogical to use a line or area to represent the ford. If either the highway or waterway is mapped as an area then I would expect the ford to be mapped both as a line across the area and also as a node at the intersection of the centre line. Only if both highway and waterway are mapped as areas would expect the ford to be mapped as an area (and also as a node at the intersection of the centre lines).

I spent a bit of time looking at how people mapped fords when I updated
the rendering on https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html to
support fords mapped as ways.

There were examples were people had mapped the way perpendicular to the
water (e.g.
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=21&lat=52.6509984&lon=-1.2567927
) and also "long fords" where the two are one and the same (e.g.
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=20&lat=53.1373688&lon=-1.468014
).  I didn't find much (any?) area usage.

Both types of mapping are pretty logical, though, as is "just add it as
a node at the intersection".

Best Regards,

Andy