[Talk-GB] Mapping Mobility Stockport

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 23:55:19 UTC 2019

On 10/01/19 07:17, Andy Townsend wrote:
> On 09/01/2019 18:11, Jez Nicholson wrote:
>> Seeking your input...
>>
> One thing that struck me when I had to start planning for getting from
> A to B with someone on a mobility scooter or in a wheelchair was that
> the "obvious" things (kerbs etc.) weren't the biggest issue - it was
> things like the exact location of the shopmobility office (which level
> of the car park and exactly where on that level?) and gates that
> weren't mobility-scooter accessible not because they weren't wide
> enough but because the angle you'd have to turn through was impossible
> (I've still no idea how to map that).

Umm I'd try 'wheelchair=no' on the way. Presumably a wheel chair would
have similar difficulty there.

> I'd actually start by asking potential users in Stockport "so what do
> you want to see on a map?".  I bet a whole pile of requests will come
> in that aren't covered by any OSM map.
>
> With regard to "what shows this"
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:wheelchair#Rendering (which
> you've probably already looked at) has a couple of suggestions.  I'm
> sure that there are others though, even features of non-"accessibility
> sprecific" renderings such as the "shopmobility parsing" that I added
> https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=20&lat=53.4955228&lon=-2.514984
> when I found it personally useful.

I am thinking about making a new wiki page for mappers on tags available
for disability/accessibility things. Presently there is no common page
for them, something similar to;

the format of https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway

and tagging on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Handicaps/R%C3%A9f%C3%A9rentiel

Yet to get off my bum and do some more research on it, the above will
give me some more to do, thanks.