[Talk-GB] Property extents

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 00:18:32 UTC 2019

Even if it were open .. does OSM want it?

I don't see any specific tags for it?

And you do want to have them accurate and up to date.

---------------------------

Example of inaccurate property extent problems .. from Australia -
https://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/news/coroner-hits-out-at-police-use-of-google-maps-printouts-in-search-for-missing-man/news-story/0d005d8018e694433313ab2b941c7df4

A recent coroner hit out at the decision to rely on Google Maps
printouts in the manhunt — noting that Queensland Police Service (QPS)
had better tools available to them to search the area.

In fact, the inquest detailed how officers on the case were later given
a much more informative aerial map of the area from the local council,
at no cost to police whatsoever.

“It is quite apparent the quality of the images of the property on this
map is far superior to the Google map images used in the search of the
property and one wonders if the same mistake in conducting a search of
only half the property would have been made if this map had been
obtained,” Deputy State Coroner John Lock said in his report.

There are lots of potential problems from mapping private property
extents. Don't think I would want to go there.