[Talk-GB] I have a philosophical question...

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 23:33:22 UTC 2019

On 14/01/19 10:09, BD wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I do make my little contribution to the effort of OSM. Recently I
> added some data to Mapillary and consider adding more (for the use of
> other mappers).
>
> After reading someone's OSM profile I started to think and now have
> some doubts... We (mappers) are concentrating on various areas of the
> map. Some are dedicated to buildings, some to geographical features
> others add businesses etc. Can someone explain what is the aim of OSM,
> are we trying to build a map better than Bing and Google (in towns and
> cities) or are we planning to create a useful tool for tourists (with
> paths, places of interests)?
>
> What is the aim of OSM, what should we concentrate on?

"We"?
OSM is a collection of individuals.
"We" all contribute what 'we' want to contribute.
If it was dictated that only contributions for 'x' are to be made then
vast numbers of people would leave.

The aim of OSM? To map the world?

Whatever contribution that an individual choses to make to improve the
map should be accepted.
I map in deserts. I map sports. I map all sorts of things.
What you chose to map is up to you.
A group may get together and chose to concentrate on some features, up
to those individuals as to how much they contribute to that effort.