[Talk-GB] High Speed 2 route mapping

Andy Robinson ajrlists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 15:07:31 UTC 2019

Jez, Excellent.

The main London tunnels pop out at Ruislip Golf Course and its then viaduct across the Colne Valley popping into twin bore tunnels (Chiltern tunnel) again just on the east side of the M25. Should be Two Vent shafts in Chalfont area, one adjacent to Chesham Lane and the other at Bottom House Farm Lane. The two near Amersham are at the A413/A404 roundabout and roughly opposite Mop End Lane east of Little Missenden. The Chiltern tunnel bores terminate at Mantle’s Wood to the west of Hyde Heath north west of Amersham.

The M25 slips should be the main works access for the viaduct and Chiltern tunnel construction. Vent shafts are typically used for emergency access during construction. I’m not sure how much construction will be undertaken from the north end of the Chiltern tunnel though obviously the next section interfaces there.

Incidentally someone had retagged the Chiltern tunnel way (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/147166450 ) with railway=construction. I’ve reverted back to railway=proposed until full construction actually starts next year.

I know that area quite well too. Back in the 80’s I worked on relocating a pipeline running alongside the A413 Amersham Road by Gerrards Cross to enable the M25 bridge to be constructed there. It was great view of Chiltern Main Line Chalfont Viaduct which never looked like it could accommodate the M25 beneath its arches but does!

Cheers

Andy