[Talk-GB] Postcodes

Gregrs gregrs at fastmail.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 17:54:47 UTC 2019

Hi Jack,

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 05:30:41PM +0000, Jack FitzSimons via Talk-GB wrote:

>What if one of those sources (say FHRS) shows the correct postcode but
>more obvious sources (e.g. the company website) shows an old postcode?
>I can use the correct postcode but it is likely to be changed back to a
>wrong one by a mapper who has only found the obvious source.

I don't have answers to all your questions but it might be worth
mentioning that the not:addr:postcode tag can be useful to record
incorrect postcodes. I usually pair this with the note tag to explain my
choice of correct postcode.

The FHRS/OSM comparison tool at
https://gregrs.dev.openstreetmap.org/fhrs/ makes use of this tag so that
FHRS establishments can still be successfully matched with OSM entities
even when the FHRS postcode is incorrect, which does happen on occasion.

Thanks,
Greg

--
Twitter: @gregrs_uk