[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK
ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 20:40:26 UTC 2019
When working on post codes in East Anglia I realised the current address tagging scheme is insufficient for even fairly basic scenarios. I have already discussed the issues with some of the most experienced mappers and like to bring these issues to your attention. Robert has summarised his ideas in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Rjw62/UK_Address_Mapping
The bottom line is, I would like to be tag commonly used addresses without losing information and without resorting to addr:full.
1. Post towns (most pressing one because there is a lot of confusion around it). The UK is fairly unique in that not every town is a post town. This makes it impossible to tag e.g. Station Road, Histon, Cambridge CB24 9LF.
Wiki recommends addr:city to be used for tagging post towns (Cambridge) but then how do we tag Histon?
- Robert recommends sticking to the current meaning of addr:city and using addr:town and addr:village for town and village names, which, although not in wiki, are already being used in the UK. I like this solution because it is very explicit in what each addr: key means and it doesn't redefine addr:city.
- SK53 prefers using addr:city for everything (towns, even villages) and either not tagging post towns (they can be seen as a an internal detail of a closed Royal Mail database) or using a new tag for it, like addr:post_town. It is a simple solution, results in Histon being called Histon and not Cambridge (without introducing new tags for town and village names) and is commonly used. It is also a bit confusing (what exactly is a city?) and I think we we should at least support tagging post towns.
a) addr:city for post towns or towns and villages?
b) how to rag remaining information (respectively, towns and villages or post towns,)
2. Tagging addresses within campuses, business parks etc. There is addr:place but it is supposed to be used instead of addr:street. Again, Robert has a fairly decent proposal for that using addr:place or addr:locality and addr:parentstreet. Please comment.
2a. should buildings in campuses be tagged with addr:buildingnumber/name or addr:unit? I would prefer buildingname/number (as they are often subdivided) but these seem to be associated with addr:street.
3. Similar to (2) but for buildings. Tagging buildings that have e.g. a single name but multiple house numbers?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Talk-GB