[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 27 21:21:36 UTC 2019

Assuming the post code is seen in OSM as a way of addressing post (as
opposed to a geographic subdivision or an indication of location) then I
suggest following Royal Mail's address structure, which can be seen in
the description of the Postcode Address File on Wikipedia [1]. If we
cannot map a full-format address onto OSM tags, we need a description of
how to deal with this (i.e. which bits to leave out or combine).

I have taken the table from wikipedia and added a column for the OSM
tags where known. Most of these fields are actually optional, or not
always present, depending on the exact address in question.

How do we fill in the blanks?

 		ELEMENT
 		FIELD NAME
 		DESCRIPTION