[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun Jan 27 22:17:04 UTC 2019

On 27/01/2019 21:21, Colin Smale wrote:
> Organisation 	Organisation Name 		60 	n/a
> Department Name 		60 	n/a
> Premises 	Sub Building Name 		30

addr:unit

> Building Name 		50 	addr:housename
> Building Number 		4 	addr:housenumber
> Thoroughfare 	Dependent Thoroughfare Name 		60

This is the one that actually normally causes questions.  It is quite
common to have named terraces, and to have runs of maisonettes numbered
within a name.

> Dependent Thoroughfare Descriptor 		20
> Thoroughfare Name 	Street 	60 	addr:street
> Thoroughfare Descriptor 		20
> Locality 	Double Dependent Locality 	Small villages 	35
> Dependent Locality 		35
> Post town 		30 	addr:city

Firstly, addr in OSM is generally postal, not geographical.  As
indicated elsewhere containment (or is_in) define the geographical place.

Secondly, in practice the only parts of the address you need are the
detailed destination point code and the post code.  However, I
discovered that the postie on the beat also needs the street name to
avoid having to look it up from the postcode.

The bar codes for Walksort only contain the postcode and two character
detailed destination.  (Is there a potential project there, to capture
these.  Everyone who has received utility bills will have their own
code, but they are only available to paying customers, as far as the
sender is concerned.)

> Postcode 	Postcode 		7 	addr:postcode
> PO Box 	PO Box 		6

PO Box is not really relevant.  In most cases it is attached to a post
office building.