[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK

Andrzej ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 22:27:59 UTC 2019

Hi Colin,

This is broadly in line with Robert's proposals. However, it raises questions about:

1. tagging "dependent localities" - they can be towns or villages. Are you happy with addr:town, addr:village for this purpose? Reaching consensus on that would be a major step forward.

2. Tagging "dependent throughfares". I think they could be used to tag "building name, Cambridge Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge". This could be addr:place except in OSM addr:place should not be combined with addr:street. Or, like in Robert's proposal, addr:street+addr:parentstreet. Except that CSP is a campus, not a street.

3. Tagging subbuildings. Addr:unit is available but is fairly limited (unit names?) and vague.

4. PO Box - I haven't thought about it. Is that something that we would include at all in a geographical database? Perhaps if it is associated with a business that has a known location but uses PO Box as its address?

Best wishes,
Andrzej