[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK

Andrzej ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 22:51:14 UTC 2019

On 28 January 2019 06:17:04 GMT+08:00, David Woolley <forums at david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:
>On 27/01/2019 21:21, Colin Smale wrote:
>> Organisation 	Organisation Name 		60 	n/a
>> Department Name 		60 	n/a
>> Premises 	Sub Building Name 		30
>
>addr:unit

What about the Sub Building Name?

>> Building Name 		50 	addr:housename
>> Building Number 		4 	addr:housenumber
>> Thoroughfare 	Dependent Thoroughfare Name 		60
>
>This is the one that actually normally causes questions.  It is quite
>common to have named terraces, and to have runs of maisonettes numbered
>within a name.

Good point.I would also add campuses in this category. Although I am not 100% sure if that's how they are classified in PAF.

>> Dependent Thoroughfare Descriptor 		20
>> Thoroughfare Name 	Street 	60 	addr:street
>> Thoroughfare Descriptor 		20
>> Locality 	Double Dependent Locality 	Small villages 	35
>> Dependent Locality 		35
>> Post town 		30 	addr:city
>
>Firstly, addr in OSM is generally postal, not geographical.  As
>indicated elsewhere containment (or is_in) define the geographical
>place.

True, but full address would still include extra information. We can infer addr:country and addr:county from admin areas but everything else should be _possible_ to tag.

>Secondly, in practice the only parts of the address you need are the
>detailed destination point code and the post code.  However, I
>discovered that the postie on the beat also needs the street name to
>avoid having to look it up from the postcode.

It should still be possible to encode a typical full address with tags. Sometimes people will want extract the full address from OSM, sometimes they will want to search for a part of it. Even if someone is searching for a house number and a postcode alone it is useful to see if e.g. a street name of the result matches expectations.

Best wishes,
Andrzej