[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK

Andrzej ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 23:19:35 UTC 2019

Perhaps OSM UK could step in and endorse address tagging practices once a consensus is reached? In the end it does not matter what tag names we use as long as the whole scheme is consistent and rich enough to describe common use cases.

So far, I see addr:city=posttown is a popular solution, which I am happy about. But it would have to go with something like addr:town/village to denote dependent localities. Otherwise we won't be able to convince mappers from smaller towns to follow this convention.

Another idea, if we allowed addr:place and addr:street to be used together, addr:place could be used as "dependent thoroughfare" with no(?) other changes.

Best wishes,
Andrzej