[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK

Will Phillips wp4587 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 12:19:20 UTC 2019

Hi,

I agree we need another tag below addr:city for localities. For this I
have usually used addr:suburb when mapping in urban areas and
addr:locality elsewhere. Ideally I think it would be best to have just
one recommended tag, perhaps addr:locality, because having addr:town
addr:village and addr:suburb seems too complicated. Eventually it would
be good if editing software, in particular iD, could provide an extra
field to enter the locality, and it would perhaps be easier for that to
happen if there was only one tag. New mappers often seem to have
difficulty entering addresses to the form that they wish and I think the
lack of a locality field is part of the reason.

For what Royal Mail calls 'Double Dependent Localities' using
addr:sublocality is a possibility, although I wonder whether just
sticking with addr:village for this less common situation would be
easier. It depends a bit on whether this tag is only likely to be used
for villages and hamlets, or whether it might be useful in other cases.
For example, sometimes names of industrial estates appear in addresses
in a similar way to sublocalities.

I only use addr:city for post towns, although I recognise not all
mappers agree with this, and I appreciate there are arguments both ways.
I was thinking about this recently when adding addresses in Lees near
Derby. The post town is Ashbourne, but this seems slightly incongruous
because the village is much nearer to Derby. I chose not to include
addr:city and only used addr:locality for the village name.

I feel the main argument in favour of using post towns for addr:city is
that it helps to keep the data consistent because what to use often
becomes confusing otherwise. To use the example of Lees I mentioned
above, it would be easy to end up with a situation where addr:city
contained perhaps four values if the data was entered by different
people without any guide as to what to use (the most likely
possibilities being Lees, Dalby Lees, Derby or Ashbourne).

In cases where local residents consider Royal Mail's choice of post town
to be contentious, usually because it is miles from where they live, it
might be sensible to recognise addr:posttown as an alternative.

Regards,
Will